Saturday, September 12, 2009

New Management

I spent an enjoyable Saturday at a Rick Morris seminar, listening to his "New Management" tips for "fair, firm, and consistent" classroom management. He is an entertaining presenter, and the seminar is chock full of ways to address all of the major and minor classroom annoyances that minimize student time on task and student learning. While much of it is gimicky (and Pavlovian) I have no problem with it. It works when implemented consistently, and kids love novelty! When I visit classrooms, I see teachers talktalktalktalk, and they are typically exhausted at the end of the day. Students are the ones who need to be talking- about content, using academic language.

Looking forward to seeing these strategies in use in classrooms. Thanks to Scott Brennan for inviting me and Lia Boucher for including me. Click to see Rick's webpage.

New Management

No comments:

Post a Comment