Sunday, June 28, 2009

What We Control

There is much we cannot control in the world of teaching. But there is so much more that we can. Dr. Haim Ginott said, "I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized."
Someone else said, "If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn." Easier said than done? Maybe, but the best thing you can bring to your math instruction (in addition to careful preparation!) is joie de vivre - a zest and enthusiasm for the subject that will catch on with your students and motivate them. I loved teaching math and the kids loved it with me- it was music to my ears to hear them whisper "Yessss!!" whenever it was time for math. I'm not a professional mathematician, but I believe the greatest gift we can give our students is the opportunity to DO math, build their own understanding, and instill a confidence and desire to learn more. Our future may well depend on the next generation of scientists and engineers.

No comments:

Post a Comment